Los Angeles-based vocalist, musician and producer Sarah Winters AKA vōx (pronounced “wokes”) makes hip-hop-influenced spectral pop. Her productions and performances have a refined look and feel. Under the veil she wears on stage, Winters is hidden but present – guiding the audience safely through the unknown sonic world. She also has a talent for giving songs like Kendrick Lamar’s “i,” the unique vōx treatment while creating lasting moments.
1. NOTEBOOK + PEN (MOLESKIN, BUY HERE): My music making background came about through writing poetry first, so I like to have a small notebook with me at all times for lyrical thoughts.
2. EAR PLUGS (ACS, CHECK HERE): I think it goes along with my introversion, but I tend to be very sensitive to sound. I like to carry my molded earplugs with me, mostly for going to shows, but sometimes even a plane or a train is a tad too loud for me.
3. GLOVES (DEL’HACIENDA, CHECK HERE): Wearing things that make people smile and wearing things that make me smile is key. These are satin gloves my friends from Los Angeles, Del’Hacienda, made.
4. VEIL (NO BRAND): Being veiled is a big part of vōx imagery. It’s symbolic in the sense that it sets a tone of importance to what I’m doing. When I put a veil on, I’m embodying all the things that are important to me as a creator and a performer–being vulnerable, being open, being curious, being bold.
5. LIP BALM (GLOSSIER, BUY HERE): I always have one of these rose balms on me, sometimes more than one. So key.
MY RBMA EXPERIENCE