German electronic musician, Techno producer and label owner Recondite aka Lorenz Brunner shares his essentials in the studio and on the road.
Brunner grew up in a small town in Bavaria surrounded by forests and fields. His close relationship to nature seems to now be deeply rooted in his current work and artistic outlook. In a fast-paced world where there is a constant need for reinvention and growth, Brunner finds his own pace and rhythym. There is a calmness in his approach to everything despite his success and high pressure for more shows and output.
Since his first full-length album on Ghostly titled “Hinterland” in 2013, he has been touring around the world and releasing music with labels such as Hotflush, Dystopian, Innervisions and his own Plangent Records. With “Dwell”, his latest album which he releases back on Ghostly, he consciously makes a point “to stop and look at the scenery” – a reminder to all of us to enjoy the “present” and study where we have arrived.
The essentials Brunner chose to share give us a peek into how he manages the busy touring schedule and how his routines help to find back to his roots.
Follow and check out for updates from Recondite here:
1. ASTERIX: Sometimes on tour I need familiarity. and Asterix was always in my life since I was a child. It s a sense of humour i can always relate to – I especially love the older editions with the older prints as the colours are really beautiful. Reading a bit on these books usually makes me happy.
2. WATCH: This is a watch that was given to me by my father. I really like it as it is simple but classy and sporty at the same time. It matches every outfit and reminds me of my dad. It s also nice to look at mechanical timepieces instead of a digital iPhone at times 🙂
3. STONE: This is a “good luck” stone my mother gave me – I never found out what kind of stone it is but I like having it in my backpack wherever I go as kind of a talisman.
4. TIGER BALM: I love the strong smell of the white tigerbalm. It doesn’t only help me if my nose is stuffed from airplane air conditions – it also helps me with headaches or sleeping problems. It gives me a familiar feeling when I smell it – plus – if you experience bad smells on an airplane or somewhere else it really can be useful to kind of “overwrite” that bad smell with tiger balm 😉
5. BALL: This small rubber ball is very bouncy and sometimes I feel like throwing it against the wall and catching it for a few minutes. I don’t know why but it relaxes me somehow.
6. EARPLUGS: Custom made earplugs became super important for me over the years. Usually I wear them on stage, or if I arrive at a venue with loud music earlier or if I stay longer after my set. I really cant have my ears being damaged of all the loud music.
I also have the soft 3m earplugs always with me – those kill almost all sound and a lot of times I need them in order to be able to sleep in hotels…. especially if you get to bet after your set at like 5-6 am and the room service starts cleaning the rooms and the doors are being slammed by other guests in the morning – they come in handy…
7. SCARF: This is my favourite scarf – it is always in my backpack – even in the hottest summer I would bring it on every travel that i do. you never know in which cold air conditioned car, restaurant or airplane you are – it came in handy and saved me from getting cold countless times… worst case it also serves as a small pillow when you have to rest your head on the window in an airplane… or if someone has a really bad cold and is sneezing a lot directly behind my seat in an airplane – I have to admit that i would use the scarf as a breathing mask in order to try and not getting infected. I have no idea if this helps but sometimes it s even good to play tricks on yourself 😉
MY NEXT BIG THING