Parisian producer and DJ Francois X is one of the reasons why the French capital is having an electronic music revival. Since 2011 Dement3d, a party series he and HBT worked on together, helped defining the Techno scene by inviting guests such as Sandwell District, Planetary Assault System, Marcel Dettman, Mortiz Von Oswald and Silent Servant. With a growing following as well as a big push by friend and mentor DJ DEEP, who is known for his Deeply Rooted parties and imprint, he got into the art of producing and releasing his own music. This all sounds very organic and like an easy dream come true but Francois X had several careers before he reached this point. When he told us that he had worked as a day trader, owned a fashion label and played tennis on a professional level, we could understand why he was so humble and down-to-earth despite the big success. Calling himself a “Ninja”, he was very aware of his musical passion now turned into a full-time career as well as the industry and its evolution. Maybe his musical understanding and sensibility helped him and HBT shape their own label (also called Dement3d) polished and avant-garde catalogue by releasing records with artists like DSCRD, Polar Inertia, Ligovskoï and Hiss:1292.
The Ninja’s selection of essentials are humble but narrate his path to this current point in life. Meeting Francois X and hearing about his career, we got to believe that everything happens for a reason. Traces from his previous careers and now hectic touring schedule can be found in the items such as the very international selection of tea bags because he just came back from a series of gigs in Asia.
1. TEA BAGS (VARIATION FOUND AT HOTELS): The perfect tea flavors for my travels are green ginger or yellow. They gives me a certain kind of quietness.
2. GUM (STIMOROL, CHECK HERE): I need it and “stimorol” has the perfect taste. They are fresh! And they are sometimes good for anti-stress. Too much travelling!
3. MUSCLE PAIN CREAM (LUMBALGINE, CHECK HERE): I was and still am an intensive tennis player (did a lot of competition) so my body and especially my back and knees are a bit injured and I am sometimes in pain. If I want to be in good shape I need to put it before every gig.
4. BATTERY CHARGER (TEKNISER, BUY HERE): My top one essential item. When you combine the intensive use of iPhone during travels, it s the thing you need the most in your life. My phone is my personal assistant (riders travel ticket …) so i need it to be always on.
5. POCKET TORCH (NO BRAND): Most of the time my gigs are in dark clubs and to keep it that way I always ask no to use too much lights. So my pocket torch is helps me to find stuff in the dark!