US-born, Wales-raised DJ and producer Dauwd shares his essentials and source of inspiration between tours during self-isolation.
When he is not touring around the world, you can find Dauwd aka Dauwd Al Hilali spending his days and nights at his studio in the heart of Berlin. He has been releasing music continuously on notable labels such as Ghostly International, Kompakt and Ninja Tune. However, the amount of unreleased material and demo collection on his hard drive prompted him and Dave Redmond to start a new record label together named Psssh. The debut record “Psssh 001”, which was just released last month, is the first installment of a trilogy. The three-track EP draws from ambient, techno, deep house and Afro-diasporic rhythms.
In addition to making music and touring the world as a DJ, Dauwd is an integral member of the Berlin-based radio show and party series “African Acid is the Future” which has a strong international following. We met Dauwd when he had just returned from their Japan tour. His essentials include memories from the trip, food discoveries as well as some studio essentials that make the Dauwd sound.
Follow and find out more about Dauwd here:
1. DR MARTENS: Have the same pair for 6 years, still alive, worn most days.
2. RECORD (PIERO UMILIANI): Effets Spéciaux. Most useful record I own; it has all kinds of sounds for DJ transitions, and for studio sampling it can be endless.
3. SRE-555 CHORUS ECHO (ROLAND): Most used thing (when its working) in the studio.
4. TABLETS: Citrate De Bétaïne. The French art of the hangover.
5. BONITO FLAKES: Create and enhance flavour.
MY NEXT BIG THING