Cleveland-born producer and DJ Dan Curtin is one of the key figures shaping the Midwest Techno scene. He founded the label Metamorphic to mainly give new talents an outlet for their music. While continuing to support this scene and over 70 singles and 9 albums later, Curtin follows his passion for hip hop, funk and soul releases new music under one of his his many aliases such as Purveyors of Fine Funk. His refusal to lock himself into one style as well as his ability to collaborate with artists from a variety of genres has helped him to maintain his status as a legend.
Currently based in Berlin, his essentials are a genuine selection of items that portray his roots and source of inspiration to keep going – “When the music stops your mind and body return to the world of the sentient but you never forget your Origins.” said the press release of his “Origins” EP which was released under his alias Planetary 25 years ago. The re-mastered reissue was just released on Metamorphic.
1. SUNGLASSES (MYKITA, CHECK HERE): Sunglasses. Needed when there is light. Not sun, but light. Can’t leave home without them.
2. CRAFT BEER (STONE BREWING BERLIN , CHECK HERE):Really good, small run, independently run breweries producing excellent beer. Beer is one of my 4 vices and one of the two that I can mention socially.
3. LIFTING BELT (MY PROTEIN, CHECK HERE): Protects and supports the lower back. Heavy lifting and the gym in general is a daily must. It’s the one hour a day that I can truly escape and not think about anything at all.
4. SAMPLER AND SEQUENCER (OCTATRACK, CHECK HERE): It’s become my main sampler and the heart and brains of my live show. The possibilities for live sample mangling are endless and it works in a really intuitive way once you’ve finished banging your head against the desk for a year trying to understand it!
5. VINTAGE RECORDS (MY COLLECTION): It’s where I go to for pure listening, where I go to for sampling and all of my favorite music is to be found there. It’s travelled the world with me and it’s a life long project – the digging never stops.
Gerardo Cedillo is a producer, DJ and multi-instrumentalist from Mexico. As one half of the duo named Kry-Lon, he defined the “new rave” scene in his hometown of Tijuana. As Soul of Hex, Cedillo’s solo project’ he enjoys playing and producing deep house incoorporating classic techno and jazz influences. He is the founder of the vinyl only label Vicario Musique Recordings to create an platform to share “music for the future”. His essentials are a refined collection to accompany him when he is touring around the world.
1. PERFORMANCE SAMPLER (ELEKTRON, BUY HERE): It’s my most essential piece of gear and I take it everywhere with me. It’s such a wonderful machine which basically can sample and manipulate any sound or song and take it to the next level, with awesome effects and also it’s a composer so… it’s been in my bag since I got it sponsored by Elektron in 2016.
2. SUNGLASSES (RAY-BAN, CHECK HERE): These shades are cool I think, I always lose them but buy them again every now and then ha!
3. GRANULAR CONVOLVOR (RBMA, READ HERE):This little silver machine was given to the participants of this year’s Red Bull Music Academy it was created by the engineer Tatsuya Takahashi. It basically combines two sound waveforms and you can modulate them.
4. HEADPHONES (SENNHEISER, SIMILAR HERE): My headphones for standard DJ usage and travelling for sure, I’ve been using these for a year and they are excellent!
5. SNEAKERS (REEBOK, BUY HERE): Classic kicks, they are so comfortable! I used to take off my shoes to play long DJ sets, but… not anymore!
BRUX is a singer-songwriter and producer from Australia. BRUX is also the ticket to a new type of audio visual experience the artist uses to explore the darker side of her musical interests with no inhibition and no rules. Story-telling with a strong look and feel is part of the BRUX effect. Her attention to detail, hard work as well as fun essentials have led to recent collaborations with LA producer Madeaux on “The Wave” on Fool’s Gold Records and artists such as dBridge and Kabuki.
1. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE(WESTERN DIGITAL, BUY HERE): My external hard drive, my life. Having a backup of the backup of the backup is key. Also, I chose orange because it’s one of my favourite colours
2. SYNTH (TEENAGE ENGINEERING, BUY HERE):My op-1. I bought this powerful little beast 2 years ago and have not put it down since. Every song I write I use my op-1 and it’s my absolute favourite bit of gear in my synth collection.
3. NOTEBOOK (A GIFT): My notebook. I’ve gone through many notebooks over the years that are full of lyrics, life plans/calculations (lol but true) & manifestations but this is my latest and greatest. My boyfriend brought this one back from New York for me earlier this year and I love the colours. So far it’s only 1/4 full of world domination plans.
4. SUNGLASSES (NO BRAND): My favourite pair of sunglasses that always make me feel fabulous, they go everywhere with me.
5. MEDICINE (ARMAFORCE): Armaforce – my drug of choice when I start to feel a cold set in. All natural, all herbal and almighty.
French producer Hermione Frank aka rRoxymore has found many homes to her diverse creative sound. Growing up in an environment full of Jazz and classical music, she appreciates the full spectrum of rhythm and sound which she stayed true to in her DJ and live performances. Her sound is always fresh, pushing boundaries because she is never afraid of trying something new. She’s released on Human Level, Cómeme, Huntleys + Palmers, Nachtdigital, Don’t Be Afraid, and on Noise Manifesto as part of Decon/Recon alongside label boss Paula Temple, Rostron and Oni Ayhun.
Hermione likes the unknown territories in music and finding comfort in discomfort, and her essentials support her in doing so: a selection of items she feels close to and has build a relationship with.
1. SUNGLASSES (RAY-BAN, FINDHERE): It is not about being vain , but I’m quiet sensitive to sunny bright light. So I can’t really travel without sunglasses in my pockets.
2. NOTEBOOK (NO BRAND): It is always in my suitcase , I like to be able to write down ideas, sketches while I’m travelling. Also it is a way to keep me connected with a pen & paper. Things that we use less and less.
3. SANDALS (NO BRAND): I think I have been everywhere on this planet, with these “Tropezienne”, I have them for more then 10 years now … I have other summer shoes, but always going back to them.
4. MINTS (TICTAC, CHECKHERE): My favourite mint, always in my pocket . Also to prevent any motion sickness (*___*)
1. SUNGLASSES (PERSOL, CHECKHERE): I really love Italian design sunglasses and especially this polarized “Typewriter Edition” model from Persol. Apparently these models are inspired by the golden age of writing, but for me it’s just the perfect tool to hide those dark eye shadows that are impossible to avoid when traveling a lot and sleeping very little. So I use these glasses to hind behind them when I’m tired or when I feel a bit antisocial after a night out where I played till early in the morning.
2. WEDDING BAND (NO BRAND, JUST LOVE): I travel a lot, and even though I feel very privileged to be on the road, discover nice places, meet lovely people, eat amazing food and to play my favourite records, I also feel a bit lonely from time to time. I couldn’t do all of this without the continuing support and love of my partner. We got married last December and since we did I never travel without my wedding ring, which keeps me comfort during those times. It kind of feels like I’m bringing her along with me every weekend.
3. PERFUME (HELMUT LANG, BUYHERE): I’ve been wearing Helmut Lang as my go to perfume for many years. I was totally heartbroken when they stopped producing it a few years ago! Since then, I change perfume quite often. The Cologne series from Hermes is really nice, and I especially like their “Eau de néroli doré”. It’s fresh, with a lovely citrus fragrance, perfect to reinvigorate after a long night in a smoky club!
4. SNEAKERS (NEW BALANCE, CHECKHERE): I don’t think I need to explain to anyone how essential good clubbing sneakers are! The most important factor for me is that they have to be comfortable, as you need to stand or dance on them for long hours in the weekend. Asics and New Balance are among my favourites because I like how they look, but also because they are really resistant. I do have to admit that I need a new pair quite often as my clubbing rhythm destroys them pretty in record time (ha)…