For New Zealand born singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Noah Slee had a busy year and it will get even busier in 2018. Releasing the debut album “Otherland” on Majestic Casual Records and playing at major festivals around the world was a big step in his career. Based in Berlin 6 months out of the year, Noah has found two place he can call “home”. The life between two countries seem to reflect his character and music well: genre-bending, respectful and open. His take on soul and RnB is fresh but accessible and so is his approach to writing the lyrics which are about the depth of communication, love and honesty.
When photographing his essentials, it seemed to be an easy task for Noah to gather the items because they were simply his favorite things. Especially the collection of Converse sneakers was quite impressive. He owned the same model in multiple colors, various editions, and several worn states. Even the hummus he brought out of the fridge came in several flavors because he loved them all.
1. JOURNAL (NO BRAND): Always keep me accountable in its own weird way, which is weird cos its just a journal but I guess the therapy and outlet it gives me its more than a just a journal. Mainly concepts, ideas, poems and of course lyrics. I’m too lazy to do the everyday dear diary thing .
2. HUMMUS (CHECK YOUR LOCAL STORE):Is my new favourite food since moving to Berlin. In NZ I didn’t really try hummus but some of my besties in the city have treated me to traditional Arabic food in their homes and I seriously almost have it with everything now its ridiculous. haha
3. SNEAKERS (CONVERSE, CHECKHERE):Past few years I’ve mainly been rocking chucks, proud member of the ‘Taylor Gang’ and it goes easily with all my clothes.
4. MASCHINE (NATIVE INSTRUMENTS, BUYHERE):I use this baby live all the time and it’s never let me down.
French producer Hermione Frank aka rRoxymore has found many homes to her diverse creative sound. Growing up in an environment full of Jazz and classical music, she appreciates the full spectrum of rhythm and sound which she stayed true to in her DJ and live performances. Her sound is always fresh, pushing boundaries because she is never afraid of trying something new. She’s released on Human Level, Cómeme, Huntleys + Palmers, Nachtdigital, Don’t Be Afraid, and on Noise Manifesto as part of Decon/Recon alongside label boss Paula Temple, Rostron and Oni Ayhun.
Hermione likes the unknown territories in music and finding comfort in discomfort, and her essentials support her in doing so: a selection of items she feels close to and has build a relationship with.
1. SUNGLASSES (RAY-BAN, FINDHERE): It is not about being vain , but I’m quiet sensitive to sunny bright light. So I can’t really travel without sunglasses in my pockets.
2. NOTEBOOK (NO BRAND): It is always in my suitcase , I like to be able to write down ideas, sketches while I’m travelling. Also it is a way to keep me connected with a pen & paper. Things that we use less and less.
3. SANDALS (NO BRAND): I think I have been everywhere on this planet, with these “Tropezienne”, I have them for more then 10 years now … I have other summer shoes, but always going back to them.
4. MINTS (TICTAC, CHECKHERE): My favourite mint, always in my pocket . Also to prevent any motion sickness (*___*)
If you know Richie Hawtin, you are most likely familiar with Ali Demirel’s work. As the creative director, visual architect and engineer, Ali is the man behind all the visual aspects on and around the stage for Plastikman, M-nus, Enter and othercollaborations with Richie Hawtin. Together they have created identities and experiences that are not only entertaining for the audience but also applies innovative and cutting-edge technology. Ali’s stage designs and live visuals have true revolutionized the music industry. It was no surprise to us that he had a degree in nuclear engineering and architecture as his work seems to always incorporate scientific imagery and structural compositions with a clever twist that makes his work speak more “art” than simply “background visuals”. His selection of essentials might be proof that it does not need much to come up with creative concepts: ideas, positive energy and comfort. The only wall between the ideas and the breakthrough is the artist him/ herself and only patience, persistence and curiosity allows for the idea to grow.
1. PENCIL (NO BRAND): I think by drawing. A good pencil is crucial for me. Whenever I have an idea, I sketch it, and as I’m sketching, the idea becomes clear and develops. Sometimes I do not even have an idea but start sketching random things, then an idea comes.
2. BRACELET (FAMILY GIFT): Reminds me to be patient, and that life is an endless loop. This is a special one from my father. Made from amber, has some positive effects by touching.
3. SNEAKERS (CONVERSE, BUYHERE): A comfortable, practical and well designed leather sneaker.
1. PEN AND NOTE BOOK (MOLESKINE, BUYHERE): I always have a pen and a notebook with me. First of all to keep alive my « to do list »… I am also afraid to forget « things » so I note everything… And for sure it is part of of my creative process to write notes & ideas on paper.
2. SUN GLASSES (MARSHALL EYEWEAR, BUYHERE ): Sunglasses!!! I have a huge collection. But those are my actual favorite. One video to sum this up is HERE.
3. POCKET KNIFE (DOUK DOUK, READ HERE): When I tour, I always need to cut things (cables, opening records…). It is part of my tech tools… This one is also special: Douk Douk was made last century and was used for lots of different situations… Good or bad 🙂