For New Zealand born singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Noah Slee had a busy year and it will get even busier in 2018. Releasing the debut album “Otherland” on Majestic Casual Records and playing at major festivals around the world was a big step in his career. Based in Berlin 6 months out of the year, Noah has found two place he can call “home”. The life between two countries seem to reflect his character and music well: genre-bending, respectful and open. His take on soul and RnB is fresh but accessible and so is his approach to writing the lyrics which are about the depth of communication, love and honesty.
When photographing his essentials, it seemed to be an easy task for Noah to gather the items because they were simply his favorite things. Especially the collection of Converse sneakers was quite impressive. He owned the same model in multiple colors, various editions, and several worn states. Even the hummus he brought out of the fridge came in several flavors because he loved them all.
1. JOURNAL (NO BRAND): Always keep me accountable in its own weird way, which is weird cos its just a journal but I guess the therapy and outlet it gives me its more than a just a journal. Mainly concepts, ideas, poems and of course lyrics. I’m too lazy to do the everyday dear diary thing .
2. HUMMUS (CHECK YOUR LOCAL STORE):Is my new favourite food since moving to Berlin. In NZ I didn’t really try hummus but some of my besties in the city have treated me to traditional Arabic food in their homes and I seriously almost have it with everything now its ridiculous. haha
3. SNEAKERS (CONVERSE, CHECKHERE):Past few years I’ve mainly been rocking chucks, proud member of the ‘Taylor Gang’ and it goes easily with all my clothes.
4. MASCHINE (NATIVE INSTRUMENTS, BUYHERE):I use this baby live all the time and it’s never let me down.
If you know Richie Hawtin, you are most likely familiar with Ali Demirel’s work. As the creative director, visual architect and engineer, Ali is the man behind all the visual aspects on and around the stage for Plastikman, M-nus, Enter and othercollaborations with Richie Hawtin. Together they have created identities and experiences that are not only entertaining for the audience but also applies innovative and cutting-edge technology. Ali’s stage designs and live visuals have true revolutionized the music industry. It was no surprise to us that he had a degree in nuclear engineering and architecture as his work seems to always incorporate scientific imagery and structural compositions with a clever twist that makes his work speak more “art” than simply “background visuals”. His selection of essentials might be proof that it does not need much to come up with creative concepts: ideas, positive energy and comfort. The only wall between the ideas and the breakthrough is the artist him/ herself and only patience, persistence and curiosity allows for the idea to grow.
1. PENCIL (NO BRAND): I think by drawing. A good pencil is crucial for me. Whenever I have an idea, I sketch it, and as I’m sketching, the idea becomes clear and develops. Sometimes I do not even have an idea but start sketching random things, then an idea comes.
2. BRACELET (FAMILY GIFT): Reminds me to be patient, and that life is an endless loop. This is a special one from my father. Made from amber, has some positive effects by touching.
3. SNEAKERS (CONVERSE, BUYHERE): A comfortable, practical and well designed leather sneaker.
1. SUNGLASSES (PERSOL, CHECKHERE): I really love Italian design sunglasses and especially this polarized “Typewriter Edition” model from Persol. Apparently these models are inspired by the golden age of writing, but for me it’s just the perfect tool to hide those dark eye shadows that are impossible to avoid when traveling a lot and sleeping very little. So I use these glasses to hind behind them when I’m tired or when I feel a bit antisocial after a night out where I played till early in the morning.
2. WEDDING BAND (NO BRAND, JUST LOVE): I travel a lot, and even though I feel very privileged to be on the road, discover nice places, meet lovely people, eat amazing food and to play my favourite records, I also feel a bit lonely from time to time. I couldn’t do all of this without the continuing support and love of my partner. We got married last December and since we did I never travel without my wedding ring, which keeps me comfort during those times. It kind of feels like I’m bringing her along with me every weekend.
3. PERFUME (HELMUT LANG, BUYHERE): I’ve been wearing Helmut Lang as my go to perfume for many years. I was totally heartbroken when they stopped producing it a few years ago! Since then, I change perfume quite often. The Cologne series from Hermes is really nice, and I especially like their “Eau de néroli doré”. It’s fresh, with a lovely citrus fragrance, perfect to reinvigorate after a long night in a smoky club!
4. SNEAKERS (NEW BALANCE, CHECKHERE): I don’t think I need to explain to anyone how essential good clubbing sneakers are! The most important factor for me is that they have to be comfortable, as you need to stand or dance on them for long hours in the weekend. Asics and New Balance are among my favourites because I like how they look, but also because they are really resistant. I do have to admit that I need a new pair quite often as my clubbing rhythm destroys them pretty in record time (ha)…
1. NOTEPAD (NO BRAND): I’m always writing stuff down – mostly completely unintelligibly, but if it’s gets written down it gets remembered.
2. NECKLACE (THE GREAT FROG, CHECKHERE): This always reminds me of Soho, it’s from the Great Frog round the corner from where I used to work at Black Market Records. I don’t wear that often, but it lives in my suitcase and always reminds me of a good place.
3. SNEAKERS (CONVERSE, BUYHERE ): My old flat was a graveyard for these, I’ve been through stacks of them – my favourite shoes forever. I’ll probably die in a pair.
1. LIP BALM (BURT’S BEES, BUY HERE): Chap-stick because dry lips is a no go 2. SHOE CLEANING KIT (JASON MARKK , BUY HERE): Dirty sneakers is a no go like dry lips. It hurts when i see people walking around in dirty sneakers – you need to take care of your shit! 3. SCARF (TURBINE POTSDAM, CHECK HERE ): I’m reppin them every where i go, i have a season ticket and i try to be at least at every home game. I have went directly from Tegel Aiport to Karl Liebknecht stadion with all my record bags several times and if I’m spinning some where abroad on a Saturday, ill always try to fly back early on a game day.
No sleep til Potsdam!