Dent May’s music takes you always to a blissful and warmer place. Following his heart and his old friends, the Mississippi-raised singer songwriter, producer and multi-instrumentalists relocated to sunny Los Angeles 2 years ago. Dent’s latest LP “Across The Multiverse” is filled with dreamy psychedelic pop which takes you on a cosmic trip back to a breezy summer day in the 70s. The lyrics are smart and humorous just like him off-stage, his music videos, his short biography (“hotel bar lounge singer, daytime tv talk show host, tarot reader to the stars”) and his essentials. His backpack is packed with “on the road must-haves” he has refined over the years touring around the world. The selection seems to describe him well: a creative professional with creature comforts we all are too familiar with: a healthy addiction to Chapsticks lip balm or Ricola cough drops.
1. NOTEBOOK (NO BRAND): I used to buy fancy leather notebooks, but I was too afraid to write in them because they were so pretty. Now I buy the cheapest I can find. I use them to jot down songwriting ideas, make set lists and keep track of practical stuff. The pen is from Santa Anita Park, a horse racing track I frequent in Arcadia, CA.
2. SUNGLASSES (MOSCOT, CHECKHERE): These are my Moscot clip-on sunglasses. I’ve been through so many because I always lose and break them.
3. LIP BALM (CHAPSTICK, CHECKHERE):Most fans of my music know that I’m hopelessly addicted to Chapstick. I’m talking two tubes per week. I also made my own lip balm to sell at the merch table, but it sold out super fast.
4. COUGH DROPS (RICOLA, CHECKHERE):I’m constantly popping Ricola for my singing voice. I actually went to their website the other day and there’s all these testimonials from celebs like Bruno Mars and Nicki Minaj about how they can’t sing without it. I’m not even sure if it helps, but I like them.
5. TRAVELLING MEDICINE CABINET (OWN COLLECTION):Anyone who’s traveled with me knows I’m insanely afraid of getting sick and losing my voice, so I keep pretty much every possible type of over-the-counter medication on me at all times. This is actually my significantly pared down collection for touring Europe. I had even more with me in the US.
For New Zealand born singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Noah Slee had a busy year and it will get even busier in 2018. Releasing the debut album “Otherland” on Majestic Casual Records and playing at major festivals around the world was a big step in his career. Based in Berlin 6 months out of the year, Noah has found two place he can call “home”. The life between two countries seem to reflect his character and music well: genre-bending, respectful and open. His take on soul and RnB is fresh but accessible and so is his approach to writing the lyrics which are about the depth of communication, love and honesty.
When photographing his essentials, it seemed to be an easy task for Noah to gather the items because they were simply his favorite things. Especially the collection of Converse sneakers was quite impressive. He owned the same model in multiple colors, various editions, and several worn states. Even the hummus he brought out of the fridge came in several flavors because he loved them all.
1. JOURNAL (NO BRAND): Always keep me accountable in its own weird way, which is weird cos its just a journal but I guess the therapy and outlet it gives me its more than a just a journal. Mainly concepts, ideas, poems and of course lyrics. I’m too lazy to do the everyday dear diary thing .
2. HUMMUS (CHECK YOUR LOCAL STORE):Is my new favourite food since moving to Berlin. In NZ I didn’t really try hummus but some of my besties in the city have treated me to traditional Arabic food in their homes and I seriously almost have it with everything now its ridiculous. haha
3. SNEAKERS (CONVERSE, CHECKHERE):Past few years I’ve mainly been rocking chucks, proud member of the ‘Taylor Gang’ and it goes easily with all my clothes.
4. MASCHINE (NATIVE INSTRUMENTS, BUYHERE):I use this baby live all the time and it’s never let me down.
French producer Hermione Frank aka rRoxymore has found many homes to her diverse creative sound. Growing up in an environment full of Jazz and classical music, she appreciates the full spectrum of rhythm and sound which she stayed true to in her DJ and live performances. Her sound is always fresh, pushing boundaries because she is never afraid of trying something new. She’s released on Human Level, Cómeme, Huntleys + Palmers, Nachtdigital, Don’t Be Afraid, and on Noise Manifesto as part of Decon/Recon alongside label boss Paula Temple, Rostron and Oni Ayhun.
Hermione likes the unknown territories in music and finding comfort in discomfort, and her essentials support her in doing so: a selection of items she feels close to and has build a relationship with.
1. SUNGLASSES (RAY-BAN, FINDHERE): It is not about being vain , but I’m quiet sensitive to sunny bright light. So I can’t really travel without sunglasses in my pockets.
2. NOTEBOOK (NO BRAND): It is always in my suitcase , I like to be able to write down ideas, sketches while I’m travelling. Also it is a way to keep me connected with a pen & paper. Things that we use less and less.
3. SANDALS (NO BRAND): I think I have been everywhere on this planet, with these “Tropezienne”, I have them for more then 10 years now … I have other summer shoes, but always going back to them.
4. MINTS (TICTAC, CHECKHERE): My favourite mint, always in my pocket . Also to prevent any motion sickness (*___*)
1. PEN AND NOTE BOOK (MOLESKINE, BUYHERE): I always have a pen and a notebook with me. First of all to keep alive my « to do list »… I am also afraid to forget « things » so I note everything… And for sure it is part of of my creative process to write notes & ideas on paper.
2. SUN GLASSES (MARSHALL EYEWEAR, BUYHERE ): Sunglasses!!! I have a huge collection. But those are my actual favorite. One video to sum this up is HERE.
3. POCKET KNIFE (DOUK DOUK, READ HERE): When I tour, I always need to cut things (cables, opening records…). It is part of my tech tools… This one is also special: Douk Douk was made last century and was used for lots of different situations… Good or bad 🙂
1. CRYSTALS (NO BRAND, CHECK EMIKA’S KICKSTARTER PROJECTHERE): They were given to me recently by a dear creative friend, she has changed her path many times and discovered something essential in these crystals, she gave them to me before I started my symphony Kickstarter and reminded me about the power of the imagination.
2. COMPOSER NOTES (NO BRAND): I have always had a book beside me in the studio, I write everything I want to make, edit, change and produce in here. It’s a part of me.
3. DOLL (NO BRAND): This was hand made and given to me as a gift by a dear fan, I was so touched that someone had made something to give back to me, with beautiful details and execution. My fans are creatives too, and this is something I always remember.
1. NOTEPAD COVER (GHURKA, CHECKHERE): Don’t remember when it was.. maybe >15 years ago? I saw a lady who had a very old and well-aged Ghurka leather notebook.
Since then I decided to get my own when I get older.
2. LIPSTICK (NARS, CHECKHERE): Love the colour and the matte. Recently this is one of the most essential things for me when I have gigs.
3. GLASSES (AYAME, CHECKHERE): I’ve been loving glasses, but sadly most of European ones don’t suit my gigantic round Asian face..these are the first glasses I found for me!!