Los Angeles-based vocalist, musician and producer Sarah Winters AKA vōx (pronounced “wokes”) makes hip-hop-influenced spectral pop. Her productions and performances have a refined look and feel. Under the veil she wears on stage, Winters is hidden but present – guiding the audience safely through the unknown sonic world. She also has a talent for giving songs like Kendrick Lamar’s “i,” the unique vōx treatment while creating lasting moments.
1. NOTEBOOK + PEN (MOLESKIN, BUY HERE): My music making background came about through writing poetry first, so I like to have a small notebook with me at all times for lyrical thoughts.
2. EAR PLUGS (ACS, CHECK HERE): I think it goes along with my introversion, but I tend to be very sensitive to sound. I like to carry my molded earplugs with me, mostly for going to shows, but sometimes even a plane or a train is a tad too loud for me.
3. GLOVES (DEL’HACIENDA, CHECK HERE): Wearing things that make people smile and wearing things that make me smile is key. These are satin gloves my friends from Los Angeles, Del’Hacienda, made.
4. VEIL (NO BRAND): Being veiled is a big part of vōx imagery. It’s symbolic in the sense that it sets a tone of importance to what I’m doing. When I put a veil on, I’m embodying all the things that are important to me as a creator and a performer–being vulnerable, being open, being curious, being bold.
5. LIP BALM (GLOSSIER, BUY HERE): I always have one of these rose balms on me, sometimes more than one. So key.
MY RBMA EXPERIENCE
Born in Russia and now based in Copenhagen, Anastasia Kristensen is one of the strongest names that represent Denmark’s electronic music scene today. Her artistic career started early in classical music which can be still found in her wide musical spectrum of DJ sets. Building her local profile in the Danish capital blossomed recently into a residency at the legendary dance music club Culture Box and bookings at Fabric, Berlin Atonal, Unsound Festival, and Boiler Room at Present Perfect Festival this year. Despite the impressive touring schedule around the world, Kristensen keeps a full-time job as an IT consultant which she really enjoys and values. She says that her day job which has nothing to do with music keeps her sane and allows her to focus even more on music because her time is limited.
Kistensens’s DJ sets span a wide spectrum of genres and styles. She takes pride in finding unique gems and unreleased music which has made her also one of Denmark’s musical tastemakers. It’s no surprise that her talent is widely supported in the community which results in strong collaborations such as the one on Special Request’s EP “Through The Looking Glass” with Nina Kraviz on Houndstooth. Her essentials are as tasteful as her track selections: a mix of classics and unexpected but fun items such as the fidget spinner and cat-eye glasses.
1. PASSPORT (DANISH): Passport is for me to explore the world. It’s always with me because you never know where and what’s next, right? 😉
2. SUN GLASSES (NO BRAND): It’s my new permanent item, both for the looks and for the warm crazy sun this summer
3. LIP BALM (KIEHL’S, CHECK HERE): Kiehl’s just happen to have the best Lip Balm, I don’t think I’ve known of any more compact one than this.
4. FIDGET SPINNER (NO BRAND): It’s a millennial device, but I dig it so much. Perfect for deep thoughts and when a decision needs to be made 😀
5. NAIL OIL (NO BRAND): This is nail oil – Keepin’ them nails nourished
6. EAR PLUGS (AUDIOVOX, CHECK HERE): Probably the most essential tool for any musician. Also very useful, when I want to nap and there’s a baby crying on the flight
Facebook Soundcloud Twitter Instagram