Dent May’s music takes you always to a blissful and warmer place. Following his heart and his old friends, the Mississippi-raised singer songwriter, producer and multi-instrumentalists relocated to sunny Los Angeles 2 years ago. Dent’s latest LP “Across The Multiverse” is filled with dreamy psychedelic pop which takes you on a cosmic trip back to a breezy summer day in the 70s. The lyrics are smart and humorous just like him off-stage, his music videos, his short biography (“hotel bar lounge singer, daytime tv talk show host, tarot reader to the stars”) and his essentials. His backpack is packed with “on the road must-haves” he has refined over the years touring around the world. The selection seems to describe him well: a creative professional with creature comforts we all are too familiar with: a healthy addiction to Chapsticks lip balm or Ricola cough drops.
1. NOTEBOOK (NO BRAND): I used to buy fancy leather notebooks, but I was too afraid to write in them because they were so pretty. Now I buy the cheapest I can find. I use them to jot down songwriting ideas, make set lists and keep track of practical stuff. The pen is from Santa Anita Park, a horse racing track I frequent in Arcadia, CA.
2. SUNGLASSES (MOSCOT, CHECKHERE): These are my Moscot clip-on sunglasses. I’ve been through so many because I always lose and break them.
3. LIP BALM (CHAPSTICK, CHECKHERE):Most fans of my music know that I’m hopelessly addicted to Chapstick. I’m talking two tubes per week. I also made my own lip balm to sell at the merch table, but it sold out super fast.
4. COUGH DROPS (RICOLA, CHECKHERE):I’m constantly popping Ricola for my singing voice. I actually went to their website the other day and there’s all these testimonials from celebs like Bruno Mars and Nicki Minaj about how they can’t sing without it. I’m not even sure if it helps, but I like them.
5. TRAVELLING MEDICINE CABINET (OWN COLLECTION):Anyone who’s traveled with me knows I’m insanely afraid of getting sick and losing my voice, so I keep pretty much every possible type of over-the-counter medication on me at all times. This is actually my significantly pared down collection for touring Europe. I had even more with me in the US.
Berlin-based producer, DJ and singer Annegret Fiedler aka Perel has made some smart decisions in her career. From the selection of labels she chose to work with to the impressive list of exclusive mixes and artist collaborations, she has slowly paved the way to make her dream come true: an album release on the famous label DFA Records — the “dance floor institution” founded by LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy. The success story did not happen overnight. Musical breakthroughs are like lotteries and patience as well as endurance is required to eventually hit the jackpot, or not. Speaking to Annegret, we noticed how much she cared about her supporting fans and the strong network behind the brand Perel. She brings the perfect balance of fun and professionalism and her essentials show the same. The carefully curated collection of items are iconic yet practical and necessary for her to keep the show going.
1. PERFUME (CHANEL, CHECKHERE): Real disco sweat needs a proper answer.
2. GLASSES (VINTAGE, NO BRAND):This lady is about about 30 years handmade in Italy.
3. CONCEALER (BENEFIT, CHECKHERE):Dark eye circles are essential part of my business.
4. HARD DRIVE (TOSHIBA, BUYHERE):It’s my brain actually. All my music is on that disk.
5. DELAY (TC-HELICON, BUYHERE): No live vocals without this baby.
1. PEN AND NOTE BOOK (MOLESKINE, BUYHERE): I always have a pen and a notebook with me. First of all to keep alive my « to do list »… I am also afraid to forget « things » so I note everything… And for sure it is part of of my creative process to write notes & ideas on paper.
2. SUN GLASSES (MARSHALL EYEWEAR, BUYHERE ): Sunglasses!!! I have a huge collection. But those are my actual favorite. One video to sum this up is HERE.
3. POCKET KNIFE (DOUK DOUK, READ HERE): When I tour, I always need to cut things (cables, opening records…). It is part of my tech tools… This one is also special: Douk Douk was made last century and was used for lots of different situations… Good or bad 🙂
1. NOTEPAD COVER (GHURKA, CHECKHERE): Don’t remember when it was.. maybe >15 years ago? I saw a lady who had a very old and well-aged Ghurka leather notebook.
Since then I decided to get my own when I get older.
2. LIPSTICK (NARS, CHECKHERE): Love the colour and the matte. Recently this is one of the most essential things for me when I have gigs.
3. GLASSES (AYAME, CHECKHERE): I’ve been loving glasses, but sadly most of European ones don’t suit my gigantic round Asian face..these are the first glasses I found for me!!
1. GLASSES (NO BRAND): These sunglasses i got in Bangkok earlier this year. Bangkok is a mecca for cool shades. They are one of a kind and were super cheap as well. They’ve come in handy this summer and i wear them loads. Chances are you’ve seen photos of me with these bad boys and they’ve kind of become a part of me.
2. STICKER (MYTH MUSIC, CHECKHERE): My label partner Aaron and i have been putting these stickers all over the place. Got to represent the label logo! I’m quite happy with the design done by the talented Mr. Matt Coffee. There’s more to come soon on Myth Music!
3. SYNTHESIZER (YAMAHA TQ5, VINTAGE ): My Yamaha TQ5 Tone Generator / FM Synthesizer has definitely become a part of my sound although it is extremely limited and the parameters are pretty weak. It’s very rare yet doesn’t cost much. Everyone thinks its some sort of 90’s answering machine at first glance. Somehow it always finds its way in most of my production and I’ve grown to love it. It’s lovely when paired with a sequencer and it fits my knack for creating atonal sounds and weird bendy notes.