Berlin-based producer, DJ and singer Annegret Fiedler aka Perel has made some smart decisions in her career. From the selection of labels she chose to work with to the impressive list of exclusive mixes and artist collaborations, she has slowly paved the way to make her dream come true: an album release on the famous label DFA Records — the “dance floor institution” founded by LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy. The success story did not happen overnight. Musical breakthroughs are like lotteries and patience as well as endurance is required to eventually hit the jackpot, or not. Speaking to Annegret, we noticed how much she cared about her supporting fans and the strong network behind the brand Perel. She brings the perfect balance of fun and professionalism and her essentials show the same. The carefully curated collection of items are iconic yet practical and necessary for her to keep the show going.
1. PERFUME (CHANEL, CHECKHERE): Real disco sweat needs a proper answer.
2. GLASSES (VINTAGE, NO BRAND):This lady is about about 30 years handmade in Italy.
3. CONCEALER (BENEFIT, CHECKHERE):Dark eye circles are essential part of my business.
4. HARD DRIVE (TOSHIBA, BUYHERE):It’s my brain actually. All my music is on that disk.
5. DELAY (TC-HELICON, BUYHERE): No live vocals without this baby.
1. PEN AND NOTE BOOK (MOLESKINE, BUYHERE): I always have a pen and a notebook with me. First of all to keep alive my « to do list »… I am also afraid to forget « things » so I note everything… And for sure it is part of of my creative process to write notes & ideas on paper.
2. SUN GLASSES (MARSHALL EYEWEAR, BUYHERE ): Sunglasses!!! I have a huge collection. But those are my actual favorite. One video to sum this up is HERE.
3. POCKET KNIFE (DOUK DOUK, READ HERE): When I tour, I always need to cut things (cables, opening records…). It is part of my tech tools… This one is also special: Douk Douk was made last century and was used for lots of different situations… Good or bad 🙂
1. NOTEPAD COVER (GHURKA, CHECKHERE): Don’t remember when it was.. maybe >15 years ago? I saw a lady who had a very old and well-aged Ghurka leather notebook.
Since then I decided to get my own when I get older.
2. LIPSTICK (NARS, CHECKHERE): Love the colour and the matte. Recently this is one of the most essential things for me when I have gigs.
3. GLASSES (AYAME, CHECKHERE): I’ve been loving glasses, but sadly most of European ones don’t suit my gigantic round Asian face..these are the first glasses I found for me!!
1. GLASSES (NO BRAND): These sunglasses i got in Bangkok earlier this year. Bangkok is a mecca for cool shades. They are one of a kind and were super cheap as well. They’ve come in handy this summer and i wear them loads. Chances are you’ve seen photos of me with these bad boys and they’ve kind of become a part of me.
2. STICKER (MYTH MUSIC, CHECKHERE): My label partner Aaron and i have been putting these stickers all over the place. Got to represent the label logo! I’m quite happy with the design done by the talented Mr. Matt Coffee. There’s more to come soon on Myth Music!
3. SYNTHESIZER (YAMAHA TQ5, VINTAGE ): My Yamaha TQ5 Tone Generator / FM Synthesizer has definitely become a part of my sound although it is extremely limited and the parameters are pretty weak. It’s very rare yet doesn’t cost much. Everyone thinks its some sort of 90’s answering machine at first glance. Somehow it always finds its way in most of my production and I’ve grown to love it. It’s lovely when paired with a sequencer and it fits my knack for creating atonal sounds and weird bendy notes.
1. NEEDLES (ORTOFON, BUY HERE): I’ll never not DJ on turntables. I got this case from my friend That Fucking Sara after I lost mine during a crazy gig in Poland. 2. EGGS (NO BRAND , BUY AT YOUR LOCAL MARKET): I eat eggs every day. I read in a book (Harold Mcgee’s “On Food and Cooking”) that all of life is contained in an egg, hence its nutritional power and versatility. 3. GLASSES (PAUL SMITH, PEACE): I need glasses to see well. I like these Paul Smith jawns because of their funky, semi-ambiguous color and round shape.