Chilean musician, producer and DJ Iara Espinoza Dos Santos AKA IARAHEI is a bundle of energy and talent. Aside from the selection of essentials below, her studies in tarot and astrology are the other source of inspiration for her music. The musical influences by artists such as A Tribe Called Quest, Daft Punk and M.I.A shape the sound of IARAHEI. Listen to her latest work as a member of the synth-pop band Sri Lanka 100.
1. COMPUTER (APPLE, CHECK HERE): My computer is EVERYTHING for what I do. It the tool that gets me making new music, listening and discovering music, and express my feelings and desires. It also knows when i’m sad and cheers me up. It’s a wonderful partner that comes in almost every musical activity that i do, but sometimes I try to make sure it gets some rest… I love you, sweetie!
2. LITTLE POCKET ESSENTIALS (A COLLECTION): For this journey in the academy, I tried to used this little bag somebody gave me to carry around some tiny essencials: My stones for energetic help/healing, my usb sticks for some little CDJ magic, a lip balm to take care of my lips and a misterious potion that you’ll have to figure out what it is for…
3. DRUM MACHINE (TEENAGE ENGINEERING, CHECK HERE): Last year was a turning point for getting to know some analog (portable) equipment. This PO-12 I bought from a friend is a very powerful tool that creates tons of charming and wonderful sounds with just a couple of clicks. The resolution of its sound is amazing and sometimes I plug it in with my Volca Keys for some fun glitchy-hoppy jams.
4. SOUNDCARD (FOCUSRITE, CHECK HERE): If my computer was the milk for my music, the soundcard is definetely the Oreo (cookies). I also take the soundcard literally everywhere with me, and it’s the one that can make me do a song in just five minutes, record some random vocals and get together musical ideas that can leave in just a glimpse.
5. HEADPHONES (AIAIAI, CHECK HERE): It may sound stupid, but when I say I cant live without music, it’s because literally I cant even FUNCTION without listening to it. I need at least an hour of music in the morning so I can properly start the day. I take my headphones everywhere too (if I dont, I feel incomplete) and these ones are very good to capture more sophisticated details after some proper personalized EQ of my own choice…
MY RBMA EXPERIENCE