Barbara Klein is a Berlin-based Polish musician, videographer and photographer. She established her career and reputation working with Techno legend Richie Hawtin and captured his his global tours in the form of tour diaries, event recaps and conceptual films. Other work includes collaboration with Soundwalk Collective (who we also covered on 5elect5), Yamaha , Spotify and now Native Instruments, one of the industry leading companies in music technology. For the early morning photoshoot, we met Barbara at her cozy apartment in the heart of Kreuzberg. Unlike her body of work that tends to speak a dark and mysterious language, she was warm and kind, offering us a cup of coffee and slices of fresh watermelon. Her essentials are a selection of items that give insight into her background, family as well as herself – revealing a strong connection to her passion turned into a profession . When she asked whether cigarettes or colourful cute socks with animals were better for the shoot, we obviously went for the socks. She then pulled out her large collection of socks for us to choose from which made us think that we had learned another side of Barbara who usually is dressed in all black outfits.
1. VINTAGE CAMERA (PRAKTICA, CHECKHERE): Leaving home without a camera gives me an anxiety attack. Lately it’s mostly analog one outside of work situation, because I love the ritual of watching family albums together.
2. COFFEE (NO BRAND, JUST COFFEE): Coffee and liquids in general. In higher than average amounts.
3. TOY CAMERA (KIKKERLAND, BUYHERE): Got this little beauty right after moving to Berlin from a friend, who convinced me I have enough talent and power to make a living out of my photography, which at time time was just a hobby. Today it’s a reminder to have fun while working hard.
4. SOCKS (TUTUANNA, ALWAYS BUYHERE): My outfit is all black most of the time, except of the socks. This obsession started on a trip to Japan, from where I brought 30 pairs back home. Funky socks seem to uplift not only me, they always bring smile to people who notice them. I think life is too short for black socks.
1. PALO SANTO (SACRED WOOD): Palo Santo gives me a sense of clarity it, soothes my soul.
2. CAMERA (PENTAX, VINTAGE): My camera has to always be with me, I feel like i don’t ever want to have a moment where i miss out on a opportunity to capture something beautiful, I love capturing beauty when i’m on my travels, I feel as if it will last longer that way.
3. HEADPHONES (URBANEARS, BUYHERE): My headphones are super essential, on my journeys I always feel the need to have a melody playing whilst on the move, feel like I’m more connected.
4. BOOK (BY CHRISTOPHER HANSARD, BUYHERE): “The Tibetan Art Of Positive Thinking” puts me at ease if I ever feel irrational or uncertain of myself, there are a lot of teachings in the book that are super healthy for the spirit, my health is my first priority when I’m far from home.
1. CAMERA AND LENSES (SONY, CHECKHERE): I travel with Sony a7, it’s my camera of choice for most things. It’s smaller then a traditional SLR but yields beautiful results.
I have a large collection of lenses both new and old but for the past couple of years I have really gotten into m42 mount lenses. I love scouring cities seeking out rare old lenses that look amazing, shoot with a vibe unique to each particular lens and I love the way old manual lenses slow you down, force you to take a moment before shooting.
2. MICROPHONE (SENNHEISER, BUYHERE):The Sennheiser e 935 is one of those mics for the stage that I feel every singer with a more delicate voice should have with them at all times. It’s far superior then any of the classic stage mics and it’s nice to know your using your own mic that no one else’s lips have touched. Lo fang put me on to this one and I’ve never turned back.
3. CHOCOLATE (THEOBRO.MA, CHECKHERE): Chocolate with no soy lecithin in it! What else can I say, soy it’s awful for you. If you are a addicted to chocolate like I am, seeking out local hand crafted chocolate with no soy is a must. I try to find something local in every city I get the opportunity to visit.